European stocks ended on a positive note on Wednesday, with major indices recording gains. The Stoxx Europe 600 index (XX:SXXP) rose by 0.42% to 454.52.
- German DAX (DX:DAX) gained 0.86% to close at 15,748.17.
- FTSE 100 index (UK:UKX) increased by 0.62% to reach 7,486.91.
- French CAC 40 index (FR:PX1) saw a rise of 0.33% to finish at 7,209.61.
- Orpea S.A. (FR:ORP), a health care and life sciences company, experienced the largest increase as its shares soared by 24.5%.
- Infineon Technologies AG (XE:IFX), a technology firm, and Siemens Energy AG (XE:ENR), an industrial goods company, saw their shares rise by 9.7% and 8.8% respectively.
- Experian PLC (UK:EXPN), an investing/securities company, and St. James's Place PLC (UK:STJ), another investing/securities company, rounded out the top five with gains of 7.5% and 6.6% respectively.
- Alstom S.A. (FR:ALO), a road/rail transport company, experienced the largest decline with shares plummeting by 15.0%.
- Aroundtown S.A. (XE:AT1), a real estate firm, and MorphoSys AG (XE:MOR), a health care and life sciences company, saw their shares fall by 6.4% and 5.9% respectively.
- Samhaellsbyggnadsbolaget i Norden AB Series B (SE:SBB), a technology company, and Alcon Inc. (CH:ALC), a health care and life sciences business, rounded out the top five with losses of 5.6% and 5.4% respectively.
Currency and Commodity Update
- The pound (GBPUSD) was down 0.57% against the dollar, while the euro (EURUSD) fell by 0.26%.
- Brent crude (UK:BRN00) declined by 1.12% and closed at $81.55.
- The yield on the 10-year gilt (BX:TMBMKGB-10Y) increased by 7.46 basis points to reach 4.233%.
- The yield on the German 10-year bund (BX:TMBMKDE-10Y) rose by 3.840 basis points to reach 2.64%.