The FTSE 100 Index UKX recorded a solid gain of 0.33% at 7,414.34 on Wednesday.
- BHP Group Ltd. (BHP) led the way among FTSE 100 constituents, with its shares increasing by 2.24%.
- Lloyds Banking Group PLC (LLOY) and Rio Tinto PLC (RIO) also saw significant gains of 2.18% and 1.92%, respectively.
- Wholesalers company Bunzl PLC (BNZL) and defense equipment/products business BAE Systems PLC (BA) rounded out the top five performers, with their stocks climbing 1.82% and 1.67% respectively.
- Ocado Group PLC (OCDO), a food retail company, experienced the largest decline among FTSE 100 constituents, with shares dropping 9.38% on Wednesday.
- Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC (RKT) and broadcasting company ITV PLC (ITV) also faced losses, falling by 4.02% and 2.62% respectively.
- Clothing retail company JD Sports Fashion PLC (JD) and industrial/office reits firm SEGRO PLC (SGRO) were among the top five companies with the largest decrease in stock prices, as their shares fell 2.13% and 2.09% respectively.
Currency and Commodity Market Update
- The pound showed a slight decline of 0.18% against the dollar, reaching $1.2137, and a 0.11% decrease against the euro, settling at €1.1470.
- Brent crude experienced a rally of 0.5%, reaching $87.56.
- The yield on the 10-year gilt increased by 7.410 basis points, reaching 4.614%.